What is Integrative and Functional Nutrition?
Integrative and functional nutrition utilizes a systems-based approach to evaluate the many interacting factors that promote health or disease. It seeks to understand the root causes of system(s) imbalances that influence one’s biology, genetics, nutritional status and well-being. Integrative and functional nutrition uses a holistic, multi-dimensional evidence and practice-based approach to the nutrition care process. A comprehensive nutrition assessment helps the practitioner design a personalized treatment plan, tailored to the patient’s unique needs and lifestyle to support the highest expression of health and healing. This integrated approach can dramatically improve patient outcomes and quality of life.
Principles of Integrative and Functional Nutrition Therapy
- Nutrition affects cellular metabolism, dynamic physiological networks and gene expression.
- A minor imbalance within the body can produce a cascade of biological triggers with long latency effects that can eventually lead to poor health and chronic illness.
- Each individual functions in an environment with internal and external factors (physical, mental, social, cultural, spiritual) that influence interactions between the mind and body.
- Traditional, conventional, complementary, and alternative therapies are acknowledged as potential healing modalities.
- Each person is unique and this is recognized in a personalized clinical assessment and intervention plan that engages and empowers the patient in this process to restore optimal function, manage symptoms and promote overall health, vitality and well-being.
At the Integrative and Functional Nutrition Academy, we’ll walk you through the basics in our Track 1 (Get Ready.. Just the Foundations) and make sure you are thoroughly prepared to dive into higher level training in Track 2 (Get Set…Putting it All Together) and eventually Track 3 (Go…Practice Now!). By the time you’ve completed the IFN Academy’s training program, we guarantee you’ll look, feel and practice like an IFN pro! Check out the module descriptions and esteemed faculty that cover IFNA training!
IFNA Clinical Nutrition Assessment Tool
The IFNA Functional Nutrition assessment uses the “HANDS-on™” organizational method to identify the root causes of chronic illness and design a personalized nutrition care plan.
- H – History and lifestyle
- A – Anthropometrics and vital signs
- N – Nutrition-focused physical exam (signs and symptoms)
- D – Diet and food habits
- S – Supporting clinical data (labs, diagnostics and other biomarkers)
- o- Ongoing
- n- Nutrition care and collaboration
READY TO GET STARTED? Click here for your NEXT STEPS to becoming a functional nutrition certified practioner!